Perl6 UTF-8 output in cmd.exe on Windows 8.1

Back in May, starting with UTF-8 output from Perl and C programs in cmd.exe on Windows 8, I wrote a few posts summarizing my bewilderment with extra bytes appearing in UTF-8 output from perl when cmd.exe codepage was set to UTF-8 via chcp 65001.

The same problem still exists with the perl 5.20.1 I built recently.

So, I decided to see what perl6, using MoarVM, can give me.

In the same cmd.exe Window, I typed:

C:\Temp> perl6 -e "Buf.new(0xce, 0xb1, 0xce, 0xb2, 0xce, 0xb3, 0x31).decode('UTF-8').say" αβγ1

or, in a script:

use v6;
'αβγ1'.say;

which gave me the output:

αβγ1

It may not seem like much, but remember that the Perl script:

use utf8;
use strict;
use warnings;
use warnings qw(FATAL utf8);

binmode STDOUT, ':utf8';

print 'αβγ1', "\n";

outputs

αβγ1
1

Let's see now:

.say for (
    "Hava karlı",
    "Bu iş kârlı",
    "İstanbul",
    "Yağ yağ yağmur");

Hava karlı
Bu iş kârlı
İstanbul
Yağ yağ yağmur

And, then,

say "karlı" eq "kârlı";
False

which means perl6 understands the difference between snowy and profitable.

Of course, so does perl5 ... but, when it comes to printing, it has issues:

use 5.020;
use utf8;
binmode STDOUT, ":utf8";

print for "karlı", "kârlı";

gives the output:

karlıkârlılı�